I don’t know about you, but winter makes me crave soup! To be fair though, I love soup all of the time. It’s my inner granny trying to get out. In particular, I’ve been craving an old childhood fave lately – tomato soup and grilled cheese. Now, everyone can pop open a can of that condensed stuff, but to me, it has the habit of tasting just like the can it slid out from.
Why not make it in under 10 minutes when you have MOST of the ingredients and then kick it up a notch with an Asian flare?
Enter QUICK homemade tomato soup. This recipe is for 2 serving sizes.
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes (really any tomato you have)
- 3 Tbsp of tomato paste
- A few fresh basil leaves or fresh Oregano sprigs (either are yummy)
- 1 cup of milk (I’ve used whole or 2%)
- 1 cup of water or vegetable/chicken broth (overnight bone broth is great)
- 1/4 cup of white cooking wine (more broth can be added to substitute)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp of white miso paste
- De-stem all of the tomatoes and herbs and pop everything into a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Heat it up – that’s it!
*If you’d like to substitute miso paste but still want to kick it up, try roasting the tomatoes and garlic! Just remember, doing so will up the cooking time past 10 minutes.
Serve with grilled cheese. Tip: My absolute fave melting cheese for both eggs and grilled cheese, is Cooper.